Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Moonstruck (On Why We're Here)

Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die.
-Ronny Cammareri to Loretta, Moonstruck 

This is my absolute favorite quote from the movie. (Perfect if you need a little pick-me-up.) I love that last sentence - how we're here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts...It's almost giving you permission to do something you know you're going to regret but have to do anyway.  

And I love how Ronny is romantic and anti-romantic at the same time, talking about how love isn't like "they" (whoever "they" is, anyway) told you, but how "it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess."

To ruining ourselves, (of course). 

No comments:

Post a Comment