Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Mainstay: an Emily Dickinson poem


IF I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin        5
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
                                                  -Emily Dickinson

I've decided that Mondays need a little something to brighten them up. So this Monday, it's Emily Dickinson to the rescue.  I think she's eased the aching in countless lives and cooled countless pains - maybe even stopped hearts from breaking. Her words still resonate with us today.

I must say that one of the reasons this particular poem appeals to me so much is its simplicity. She says everything outright and so clearly and elegantly, too. This poem is so utterly sincere; doesn't it kind of stop you in your tracks?

To not living in vain and to Emily Dickinson.





  






      


No comments:

Post a Comment