Friday, August 3, 2012

Having It All vs. Having Enough

Full text of the article: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/07/what-my-sons-disabilities-taught-me-about-having-it-all/260479/

We are chasing the wrong things, asking ourselves the wrong questions. It is not, "Can we have it all?" -- with "all" being some kind of undefined marker that shall forever be moved upwards out of reach just a little bit with each new blessing. We should ask instead, "Do we have enough?" 
-Marie Myung-Ok Lee

I think that's incredibly wise. The more I think about and read this quote, the more I agree. Why do we keep asking if we can have it all? What is with this obsession with having everything? Why do we want it all?

I like dresses. At last count a few months ago, I had forty-some dresses hanging in my closet. Do I need that many dresses? No. Absolutely not. But I like having them. And I continually find myself drawn to dresses when I go shopping. There's always the thought of another dress. I will never own every single dress. It's ridiculous to think about that...but do I have enough? Yes. Much more than enough. (No, that's probably not going to stop me from buying more dresses, but hopefully thinking of this quote will give me some extra perspective.) And okay, this was probably not the best example, but hey, it applies to my life, certainly.

Think about your life. Think about everything you have. No, you don't have everything. Someone has newer, improved, more expensive...well, just about everything - clothes, technology, a house. But think about everything you do have. Is it enough?

Do I have enough? Resoundingly: yes. And I ask you to take a moment: I suspect you might, too.
-Marie Myung-Ok Lee

To having enough instead of desperately pursuing "having it all" (whatever that means, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment