Thursday, August 16, 2012

Conan O'Brien's 2011 Commencement Speech

"Your path at 22 will not necessarily be your path at 32 or 42.  One’s dream is constantly evolving, rising and falling, changing course."

I need to remember this.

"No specific job or career goal defines me and it should not define you.  In 2000, I told graduates to not be afraid to fail, and I still believe that.  But today I tell you that whether you fear it or not, disappointment will come.  The beauty is that through disappointment you can gain clarity, and with clarity comes conviction and true originality."

You are not defined by your job. You are not defined by your goals, even. I'm not entirely sure what people are defined by - another one of those maddening questions that don't really have an answer but I wonder about, anyway - but it's not your job. You are more than what you do to earn a living, more than what you buy, more than what you say.

To changing dreams and defining ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment